Technology strategist Michael Wolf presented on “The 9 Most Important Insights for Tech and Media in 2017” at WSJDLive, The Wall Street Journal’s global tech conference last week. Wolf, a onetime Yahoo Inc. board member and president of MTV Networks, now runs New York-based consulting firm Activate Inc.
Here are some highlights from his section “Subscriptions Will Feed The World (or at least Internet and Media Businesses”
- Over the next five years, global internet and media revenues will grow by over $400 billion, outpacing GDP growth
- Access, not content, will be the revenue growth driver over the next five years
- Subscription will continue to be the dominant revenue model, accounting for over half of consumer internet and media growth
- Consumer pay models outside of subscription and freemium are essentially disappearing
- The top subscription services in app stores are mainly video and music streaming
- Digital access and television providers capture the highest average revenue per user in the US